Alert – Earthquakes and Aftershocks (February 16, 2022)
Location: Guatemala, country wide
Event: In the early hours of Wednesday, February 16, 2022, INSIVUMEH reported that an earthquake of magnitude 6.8 struck southwestern Guatemala with several follow-on aftershocks.
The U.S. Embassy has not received any reports of U.S. citizen casualties or severe injuries as a result of the earthquake.
Patzicía Landslide Entrance to the urban area
Patzún Landslide Slope of Villa Linda km 81
Sipacate Structural cracks Urban area
Amatitlán Structural collapse Route to El Rincón
Mixco Structural cracks San Cristóbal Mixco
Villa Canales Structural cracks Cemetery Avenue (Avenida del
Cementerio)10-80 Zone 2
Quetzaltenango Landslide Route Cito 180 (Ruta Cito 180)
Zunil Landslide Km 212.5 route Cito Zarco
Antigua Landslide Km 37.5S cracks
Structural cracks Urban area
Landslide San Bartolomé Becerra
Nahualá Landslide Km 148 Route Interamericana
San Pedro La Laguna Landslide Calzada los Principales
Sololá Landslide Los Encuentros
Totonicapán Residential damage Fourth street and Second
avenue Zone 4
Actions to Take:
CONRED (National Coordinator for Disaster Reduction) advises citizens to:
- Follow instructions issued by local authorities
- Review household evacuation plans
- Ensure that a 72-hour emergency bag is ready for each household member.
The U.S. Embassy further recommends that U.S. citizens:
- Avoid traveling while heavy rains occur as roads can quickly become extremely unsafe.
- Navigation devices and applications that provide directions and traffic and route suggestions should be used with caution as certain detours or alternate routes from main roads and highways can lead to unsafe areas or roads affected by flooding or landslides.
- Visit CONRED (Coordinadora Nacional para la Reducción de Desastres) and INSIVUMEH (Instituto Nacional de Sismología, Vulcanología, Meteorología e Hidrología) websites for updated weather and hazard information.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates