We are excited to announce improved processes for our Social Security Customers effective immediately.
- If you are an American Citizen who is required to fill out SSA-7161 or SSA-7162 this year, you are NOT required to come to the Embassy to fill out these forms. The regional Social Security Office in Costa Rica will contact you directly by phone.
- If you receive Social Security/Federal Benefits, other than those following the process described above, you will need to call us to schedule an appointment. Our telephone number is 2326-4942.
All other services provided at the Embassy for American Citizens remain the same. Please go to our website and follow the instructions to make an appointment online.
For further information:
- See the Department of State’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.
- The Department of State’s Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) provides several resources to enhance the safety and security of the U.S. private sector abroad. Additional information on OSAC can be found on gov or by following OSAC on Twitter.