The White House
November 1, 2018
“We will not rest until our border is secure, our citizens are safe, and we finally end the immigration crisis once and for all.”
President Donald J. Trump
GROWING CRISIS: Our country is facing an urgent crisis as illegal aliens stream across our border, including a caravan of thousands heading here at this moment.
- Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 saw the highest number of family unit apprehensions and of inadmissible aliens on record – more than 40 percent higher than any previous year.
- Family unit apprehensions at the southern border have increased by a staggering 620 percent since 2013, from 14,855 to 107,212.
- The number of unaccompanied minors apprehended along the southern border has grown by 171 percent since 2010.
- United States Border Patrol apprehended 18,411 unaccompanied minors at the southern border in 2010, compared to 50,036 in 2018.
- Catch-and-release loopholes backed by Democrats and created by activist judges have blocked us from quickly removing illegal aliens and instead allow them to remain here for years.
- In FY 2000, 95 percent of apprehensions were repatriated within hours as the vast majority were adults from Mexico and not subject to outrageous loopholes.
- In FY 2018, roughly 4 out every 10 aliens apprehended along the southern border face effectively no legal consequence for illegal entry due to loopholes.
- There has been a dramatic increase in the number of aliens claiming a fear of return at the southern border over the past several years.
- The number of aliens claiming credible fear of persecution in their home countries has spiked by over 1700 percent since 2010.
- While approximately 80 percent of migrants from the Northern Triangle countries claim credible fear, only 15 percent are granted asylum.
THREAT TO OUR SECURITY: Our porous southern border has allowed drugs and criminals to flood into our country and endanger the security and well-being of American communities.
- CBP stopped 17,256 criminals and 1,019 gang members from entering our country in FY 2018.
- Brutal gangs like MS-13 have exploited the influx of unaccompanied minors for recruitment.
- Mexico is the source of more than 90 percent of wholesale heroin seized by law enforcement in the United States, up from only 10 percent in 2003.
- The amount of fentanyl seized by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in FY 2017 (2,370 pounds) was enough to kill every American citizen by overdose.
- The southern border is the main entry point for cocaine entering the United States.
- Methamphetamine seizures at the southern border jumped by 157 percent from 2012 to 2016.
DEMOCRATIC OBSTRUCTION: Democrats have blocked all efforts to secure our southern border and protect our communities.
- Democrats defend loopholes that enable the release of illegal aliens and further this crisis.
- Every single Senate Democrat supports an open-borders bill that would effectively grant amnesty to any alien within 100 miles of the border as long as they arrive with a minor.
- Democrats have opposed legislation to crack down on sanctuary cities, be tougher on aliens who reenter after deportation, keep out alien gang members, and fully fund a border wall.
- Earlier this year, 90 percent of House Democrats failed to take a stand and vote in favor of a resolution to support the brave men and women of ICE.