Demonstration Alert: Planned Roadblocks and Demonstrations on October 4-6, 2022 (October 3, 2022)
Location: Throughout Guatemala
Event: The U.S. Embassy has received open-source reports that veterans of the Guatemalan military may set up roadblocks and hold demonstrations throughout the country from Tuesday, October 4, to Thursday, October 6, 2022. The exact locations of the demonstrations and roadblocks is not known.
As always, the timing, size, and duration of planned demonstrations and roadblocks can change. Demonstrations can grow quickly in size and often move from one location to another, thus potentially disrupting movement. The Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens be aware and vigilant.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security, and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid affected areas, and exercise caution.
- Cautiously use navigation applications that provide directions as certain detours or alternate routes from main roads and highways can lead to unsafe areas or roads.
- Notify friends and family of upcoming travel plans and let them know you are safe.
If you need emergency assistance, Guatemala has a dedicated tourism assistance program (called PROATUR) whose sole mission is to assist and protect foreign tourists in Guatemala. Their emergency assistance call center – staffed with Spanish and English speakers – may be contacted 24/7 by calling 1500 or +502-2290-2800.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City
Phone: +502 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP ) to receive security updates