Location: Throughout Guatemala
Event: The U.S. Embassy has received reports from open-source material that there may be demonstrations throughout Guatemala from Thursday, July 13, to Sunday, July 16. The exact locations of the demonstrations are not confirmed.
Demonstrations in Guatemala City have been announced as follows:
- July 13, 2023, at 4:00 pm, at Ministerio Público (MP), zone 1, and then to the Constitutional Court (Corte de Constitucionalidad (CC)), zone 1
- July 14, 2023, at 4:00 pm, at Ministerio Público (MP), zone 1
As always, the timing, size, and duration of planned demonstrations and roadblocks can change. Demonstrations can grow quickly in size and often move from one location to another, thus potentially disrupting movement. The Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens be aware and vigilant.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security, and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid affected areas and exercise caution.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City
Phone: +502 2354-0000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates