Event: The Comite de Desarollo Campesino (CODECA) is calling for national strikes in the form of road blockages and demonstrations/marches on August 6, 2019, starting in the early morning. The strikes are expected to impact travel throughout the country, including Guatemala City. Below is a list of potential road blockage locations. CODECA leaders are planning on a minimum of 22 blockage locations. Locations may change, however, without prior notice and blockages may last for an undetermined duration of time. U.S. Embassy operations are normal unless otherwise announced.
Km 113 Cocales
Km 178 El Zarco
Km 217 Guayacan
Km 247 La Virgen
Km 117 Las Trampas
Km 188 Cuatro Caminos
Km 148 Santa Lucía Utatlán
Km 65 El Boqueron
Km 137 Rio Hondo, Zacapa
Km 245 La Ruidosa, Morales Izabal
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
- Tel. (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444