Event: According to official reporting various organizations have planned demonstrations across Guatemala on Saturday, December 5.
Announced demonstrations are expected at the following locations in Guatemala City:
- The Ministry of Governance, Zone 1, organized by “Bloque feministas”, starting at 9:00 a.m.
- Plaza de la Constitution, Zone 1, currently scheduled for 10:00 a.m. Approximately 10 different organizations will take part in a protest at this location.NOTE:These groups are calling for demonstrations at different plazas throughout the country although additional locations are not known at this time.
- University of San Carlos, Zone 12, organized by university students, starting at 11:00 and will then move towards Plaza de la Constitution, Zone 1.
- Plaza de la Constitution, Zone 1, organized by The Movimiento Sindical, Indígena y Campesino Guatemalteco (MSICG) organization, scheduled for 2:00 p.m.NOTE:This group is calling for demonstrations at different plazas throughout the country.
Additionally, the following demonstration is also scheduled to take place on Saturday, December 5, in Peten
- University of San Carlos, Santa Elena campus (near the airport), organized by San Carlos University students of Peten, scheduled for 6:00 a.m.
In addition to these planned demonstrations, there are reports of planned demonstrations in the following cities on Saturday, December 5, beginning at 2:00 p.m.
- Antigua Guatemala
- San Marcos
There is also a report there will be a potential roadblock at km 164 (Purulhá) along the route to Coban on Saturday, December 5.
The Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens reconsider travel to these specific locations during this same time period, and remain alert to the possibility of demonstrations occurring at unanticipated times and locations. Demonstrations can quickly grow in size and often move from one location to another thus potentially disrupting movement.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid affected areas, and exercise caution.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel. (502) 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates