Event: According to open-source reporting, various organizations have planned peaceful demonstrations across Guatemala on Wednesday, December 9 and Thursday, December 10.
Announced demonstrations are expected at the following locations December 9:
- Municipalidad y gobernación departamental de Totonicapán
- Sector Cuatro Caminos, San Cristóbal, Totonicapán
- Sector Xecanchavox, San Cristóbal Totonicapán, Totonicapán
- Cumbre de Alaska, kilómetro 170 ruta Interamericana, Totonicapan
- Monumento El Migrante, Salcajá, Quetzaltenango
Additional demonstrations are anticipated in other locations both on December 9 and December 10:
While these demonstrations are planned to be peaceful, the Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that even peaceful protests have the potential to turn violent. U.S citizens should also remain alert to the possibility of demonstrations occurring at unanticipated times and locations. Demonstrations can quickly grow in size and often move from one location to another, thus potentially disrupting movement.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid affected areas, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel. (502) 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates