Event: According to media reports, various organizations have planned demonstrations across Guatemala between January 14 and January 20, 2021.
Announced demonstrations are expected at the following locations in Guatemala City:
· Who: Organizations Movimiento Arbencista and Plataforma Cívica GT.
· What: An estimated 300 people will demand the resignation of Guatemalan President and members of congress.
· Where: National Palace in Guatemala City. Possible roadblock locations are not known at this time.
· Who: Private transportation Association.
· What: An estimated 200 people will protest municipality traffic fines.
· Where: 13 Street and Aguilar Batres Boulevard in Zone 11 then walking towards Guatemala City Municipality.
· Who: Guatemala Army veterans.
· What: An estimated 1,500 persons will protest for the approval of a veterans benefits bill.
· Where: Presidential House and National Palace in Guatemala City and other locations in the country to be determined.
The Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens reconsider travel to these specific locations during this same time period, and remain alert to the possibility of demonstrations occurring at unanticipated times and locations. Demonstrations can quickly grow in size and often move from one location to another thus potentially disrupting movement.
Actions to Take:
· Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
· Monitor local news for updates.
· Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
Avoid affected areas, and exercise caution.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel. (502) 2326-4000 Amcitsguatemala@state.gov
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates