Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy Guatemala City, Guatemala – (November 25, 2020)
Location: Guatemala City
Event: According to open source reporting, various organizations have planned peaceful demonstrations across Guatemala from today, November 25 through Sunday, November 29.
Announced demonstrations are expected at the following locations in Guatemala City:
- Plaza de Constitution, Zone 1, organized by “25 de Noviembre”.
- The National Theater, Zone 4, as the Guatemalan Congress meets there today.
- Plaza de la Constitution, Zone 1, currently scheduled for 6:00 p.m.
- The National Theater, Zone 4, as the Guatemalan Congress meets there, starting at 10:00 a.m.
- Plaza de la Constitution, Zone 1.
Additional coordinated demonstrations are anticipated November 28 at multiple locations across the country, at a time not yet specified.
There are also unconfirmed reports that teacher unions are planning demonstrations in support of the Guatemalan President, although the date/time has not yet been specified.
The U.S. Embassy has recommended that Embassy personnel avoid all but essential travel to the above listed demonstration locations between Wednesday, November 25 to Sunday, November 29. The Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens reconsider travel to these specific locations during this same time period, and remain alert to the possibility of demonstrations occurring at unanticipated times and locations. Demonstrations can quickly grow in size and often move from one location to another thus potentially disrupting movement.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid affected areas, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates