Event: The Embassy has received confirmed reports that several planned, peaceful demonstrations and roadblocks will take place across Guatemala on Monday, October 26. The participants, veterans of Guatemala’s armed forces, will demonstrate in support of a request to the Guatemalan Congress for “Ley de Dignificacion al Soldado”. The participants intend to block roads from 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the following locations:
- In front of Congress in Zone 1 of Guatemala City
- 4 Caminos road to the western highlands
- El Zarco in Mazatenango
- The road to Puerto de San José, Escuintla
- El Boqueron, Chiquimulilla, Santa Rosa
- The road to Ipala, Chiquimula
- San José La Arada, Chiquimula
- Carretera Vieja in San Esteban, Chiquimula
- The road to Rio Hondo, Zacapa
- The road to La Fragua, Zacapa
- The road to El Rancho, El Progreso
- Transversal del Norte, in Alta Verapaz and Peten
- Las Trampas in Sololá and Quiche
- Las Vegas in Huehuetenango
- La Ruidosa in Puerto Barrios, Izabal
- The road to Aldea el Rancho in El Progreso
- The ferry to Rio San Pedro Aldea el Naranjo, La Libertad, Peten
The Embassy recommends that American Citizens avoid traveling near these roads from 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Monday, October 26.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid affected areas, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel. (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Guatemala Country Information and Travel Advisory Page
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter