Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy Guatemala City, Guatemala – (October 26, 2020)
Event: The Embassy has received confirmed reports that several planned, demonstrations and roadblocks are taking place across Guatemala on Monday, October 26. The participants, veterans of Guatemala’s armed forces, will demonstrate in support of a request to the Guatemalan Congress for “Ley de Dignificacion al Soldado”. Participants are blocking roads at the following locations:
- Km 178 Puente Castillo Armas
- Km 47 El Tejar Chimaltenango
- Km 69 Zaragoza
- Km 116 Las Trampas
- Km 47 Libramiento de Barberena
- Km 65 El Boquerón
- Km 84 El Rancho
- Km 136 Cruze Rio Hondo
- Km 245 La Ruidosa
- Km 175 Cruce de San Julián
- Km 390 en Machaquilá
The Embassy recommends that American Citizens avoid traveling near these roads on Monday, October 26.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid affected areas, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates