January 31, 2019
Location: Guatemala City
Event: There are reports of a large teachers protest beginning today, January 31, 2019, at 8:00 a.m. in Guatemala City with estimates as high as 20,000 demonstrators participating. The march is expected to begin at the Plaza Obelisco. It will proceed down Reforma Avenue and pass the Embassy before stopping at the National Palace in Zone 1. Expect heavy traffic delays. Embassy operations are normal.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel. (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter