Demonstration Alert – Upcoming Demonstrations on September 21, 2022
Location: Guatemala City
Event: The U.S. Embassy has received reports that CODECA (Comité de Desarrollo Campesino) will conduct peaceful demonstrations within Guatemala City on Wednesday, September 21, 2022. Thus far, CODECA has not announced additional demonstrations outside Guatemala City. CODECA is planning to demonstrate throughout the day with marches that may block traffic within the capital in the following locations:
- Roosevelt, Periferico, and Trebol (Zona 11)
- Metro Norte (Zona 17)
As always, the timing, size, and duration of planned demonstrations and roadblocks can change. Demonstrations can grow quickly in size and often move from one location to another, thus potentially disrupting movement. The Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens be aware and vigilant.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security, and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid affected areas, and exercise caution.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City
Phone: +502 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates