The Embassy will suspend regular consular operations on the morning of March 7, 2017 until at least 10:00 a.m. due to heavy traffic caused by expected demonstrations. U.S. citizens who require emergency services should call 2326-4000. Demonstrations are expected to start at 07:00 at the following locations:
- El Obelisco – Avenida La Reforma
- Calzada Aguilar Batres at El Trebol (Zone 11)
- Calzada Roosevelt and Periferico
- Metro Norte (Zone 17)
Groups will proceed to the City center in Zone 1. Upon arrival in Zone 1 the groups will demonstrate in front of the Congress building. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Guatemala, located at Avenida Reforma 7-01, Zona 10, Guatemala Ciudad, Guatemala, at +502-2326-4000, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Friday.
- After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +502-2331-2354. Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).