The Academy of Women Entrepreneurs (AWE) is global initiative from the Government of the United States that provides an educational opportunity for potential women from different communities.
AWE was developed to support the White House-led Global Development and Prosperity (W-GDP) Initiative, which is designed to empower women worldwide to fulfill their economic potential, creating conditions for increased stability, security, and prosperity for all. The target is to reach 50 million women by 2025 by promoting an enabling environment that reduces barriers and facilitates women’s participation in the economy.
In Guatemala the first phase of the program will empower 75 women from Guatemala City, Chiquimula and Quetzaltenango with practical skills in order to create successful and sustainable businesses.
As part of this education Exchange among women, there will be a guided on line courses for 5 months. Networking and supplementary engagements are the fundamental pieces of AWE that allow participants to apply lessons learned in the real world.
The program starts on June 2019 and ends October 2019.
AWE is designed for energetic women with entrepreneurial ideas. Participants need not be in business already or have a developed business plans
Applications for the AWE 2019 cohort closed on May, 27 2019. Updated on new applications will be posted in this site.
Am I elegible?
- Women, aged 18-45
- Fluent and literate in Spanish
- Guatemalan citizens, representing ethnic, socio-economic diversity
- Commit to attendance of AWE sessions and completion of requirements (average 7 hours per week)
- Have not attended university
- Currently operate a small business, even if in the informal sector
- Possess basic computer skills
- Express interest in contributing to a positive learning environment
- Commit to sharing learning with other women entrepreneurs upon conclusion of the program