The Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSIs) for Student Leaders are intensive short-term academic programs whose purpose is to provide groups of undergraduate student leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. The five-week Institutes will consist of a balanced series of seminar discussions, readings, group presentations, and lectures.
The first part of the program, a four-week academic residency, will provide participants with an overview of the history and contributions of diverse women in public life in the United States to promote effective democracies. The second part of the program is a one-week educational tour where participants will visit a different part of the United States. The program will be conducted in Spanish and will take place at the University of Arizona in Tucson.
The costs of international travel, accommodations, meals, books, and cultural activities will be covered.
Who can apply?
- Guatemalan female citizens of indigenous or African descent, proficient in Spanish;
- Between 18 and 25 years of age;
- have completed at least one semester of undergraduate studies and have at least one semester left of undergraduate studies, and therefore be committed to return to their home universities following completion of the program;
- Prove a high level of academic achievement with a grade point average of 85 or be in the top 15% of your class rank. Awards and teacher recommendations are also necessary;
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities, with at least one year of experience in university or community activities, or equivalent employment;
- Be willing and able to participate in an intensive academic program, community service and educational travel;
- Have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of Guatemala;
- Be comfortable with campus life and willing to share accommodations.
How can I apply?
- If you fulfill the eligibility requirements complete the SUSI Afro Latina and indigenous women fillable form (493 KB)
- Submit completed form and a scan of your DPI, a scan of your grades with general Point Average, and/or class rank to this email address: Guatemala.BecasEEUU@state.gov
- When sending your application put in the Subject Field the following text: SUSI Afro Latina and Indigenous Women 2019 Application – LASTNAME, NAME.
Deadline to submit applications: January 17, 2019 at midnight