The mission of the United States Military Group in Guatemala is to support the Ambassador’s goals and objectives working through the Combatant Commander of the U.S. Southern Command to the U.S. Department of Defense.
- Support U.S. Embassy efforts to enhance host country military professionalism.
- Support U.S. Embassy efforts to enhance regional cooperation, working with the region’s militaries, non-governmental organizations, and multi-national agencies.
- Reinforce the role of the military in a democracy with respect to the rule of law.
- Develop, implement, and support programs that encourage leadership in and commitment to multilateral peacekeeping activities in concert with U.S. and United Nations goals.
- Develop a base of interoperability between the Guatemalan Army and U.S. Armed Forces.
- When authorized by the U.S. Congress, develop and implement Department of Defense security assistance programs.
- Maintain an open, professional dialogue with the senior leadership of the Guatemalan Army.
The U.S. Military Group supports other agencies within the U.S. Embassy in counter-drug efforts; coordinates search and rescue support for U.S. military activities in the region; coordinates emergency disaster relief support; and conducts humanitarian and civic assistance exercises in different regions of Guatemala.