Appointment Eligible Family Member (AEFM)
- A type of Eligible Family Member that is eligible for direct-hire employment on either a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or Temporary Appointment (TEMP) provided s/he meets all of the following criteria:
- US citizen;
- Spouse or dependent who is at least age 18;
- Listed on the travel orders of a Foreign or Civil Service or uniformed service member permanently assigned to or stationed at a US Foreign Service post or establishment abroad with a USG agency that is under COM authority;
- Is resident at the sponsoring employee’s or uniform service member’s post of assignment abroad, approved safehaven abroad, or alternate safehaven abroad; and
- Does not receive a USG annuity or pension based on a career in the US Civil, Foreign, or uniform services.
Eligible Family Member (EFM)
Family Members at least age 18 listed on the travel orders of a Foreign or Civil Service or uniformed service member permanently assigned to or stationed to a US Foreign Service post or establishment abroad with a USG agency that is under COM authority who do not meet the definition of AEFM above.
Member of Household (MOH)
A MOH is a person who:
- Has accompanied, but is not/not on the travel orders of a U.S. citizen Foreign or Civil Service employee or uniform service member permanently assigned to or stationed at a U.S. Foreign service post or establishment abroad;
- Has been declared by the sponsoring employee to the Chief of Mission as part of his/her household; and
- Resides at post with the sponsoring employee.
Ordinarily Resident (OR)
A citizen of the host country or a citizen of another country who has shifted the main residency focus to the host country and has the required work and/or residency permits for employment in country.
Not-Ordinarily Resident (NOR)
Typically NORs are AEFMs and EFMs of FS, GS, and uniform service members who are on the travel orders and under Chief of Mission authority, or other personnel having diplomatic privileges and immunities.