If you want to apply for a current local vacancy, please read very carefully the following paragraphs. Application packages that are inadequate or incomplete will not be considered.
The HR Office accepts and considers only applications that are associated with a specific vacancy announcement.
To be eligible for consideration, candidates of all nationalities must meet the eligibility requirements of local residency and proper work status in Guatemala. Please note that the U.S. Embassy is not able to sponsor candidates for a work entry visa to Guatemala.
With the exception of certain Eligible Family Members of Mission employees, all other categories of candidates must have the required work and residency permits at the time they apply for local positions in Guatemala. (See: “Definitions“)
Local position vacancies are advertised inside and outside concurrently. The recruitment process is competitive and it is essential that candidates address the selection criteria (required qualifications) for the vacancy with specific and comprehensive information. When equally qualified, candidates will be given preference in the following order: Appointment Eligible Family Members, U.S. veterans claiming preference, and all others.
The application language is English unless a position requires only a limited knowledge of English.
A complete application package must include:
- A cover letter indicating the job title/number and highlighting the particular qualifications for the position as advertised.
- A completed form DS-174 (PDF – 42Kb)
- A current detailed resume which provides the following additional information as appropriate:
- For all – Indication of nationality (also dual nationalities) and address of residence.
- For all non-Guatemalan citizens – Evidence of authorization to work in Guatemala (a copy of the Permiso de Trabajo must be attached).
- For U.S. citizens – Social Security Number.
- Documentation addressing the minimum requirements of the position as advertised (e.g., essays, certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned, etc.).
- U.S. Veterans claiming preference must indicate this in their cover letter and must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) with their application.
Applications must be submitted by the closing date, as indicated in the vacancy announcement. In order to meet the deadline, applicants are to send the application packets to our new Recruitment email address.
Thank you very much for your interest in employment with the U.S. Mission in Guatemala.