Health Alert: Embassy of the United States of America, Guatemala City, Guatemala
Subject: Health Alert – State of Public Calamity and New COVID-19 Restrictions (August 14, 2021)
The Government of Guatemala has announced a nation-wide State of Public Calamity, in effect until September 11, 2021, due to a substantial increase in COVID-19 infections in Guatemala. The State of Public Calamity includes a curfew, restricts public gatherings, enforces mask wearing and other sanitary measures in public spaces, and restricts the sale and consumption of alcohol in commercial and public spaces. The measures are focused on limiting the spread of the virus, without limiting essential services.
During the State of Public Calamity, the following restrictions are in place:
Beginning August 15, 2021, a curfew is in effect between 10:00 p.m. – 4:00 a.m. the next day. Although not an exhaustive list, some exceptions include official government business, medical emergencies, and food and pharmaceutical delivery services.
Sporting events are prohibited if spectators are present. Other entertainment events and public gatherings and meetings are permitted if capacity limits are followed. Public demonstrations are permitted if required notification is provided, and if public right of way is not impeded.
Mask-wearing and social distancing:
- Masks must be worn in public or governmental spaces and establishments, private spaces and establishments open to the public, and private entities offering restricted-access services, including any form of transportation or transit.
- Individuals must maintain social distancing of at least 1.5 meters.
- Individuals must regularly clean their hands with antibacterial soap, or alcohol gel (60% or above).
- Commercial establishments and activities not subject to an exemption must remain closed between the hours of 9:00 p.m and 5:00 a.m. Medical providers and certain other essential services are exempted.
- The sale of alcoholic beverages is prohibited between 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
Actions to Take:
- Check the Embassy’s COVID-19 Information Pagefor updated COVID-19 related information.
- Monitor the CDC websitefor latest guidance regarding testing requirements for entry into the United States.
- Clickhere for the Department of State’s COVID FAQs Search Tool.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel. (502) 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates