Health Alert – U. S. Embassy Guatemala City, Guatemala – (February 25, 2020)
Event: The President of Guatemala announced today, February 25, 2020, an increased level of precautionary measures regarding the novel coronavirus, COVID-19. Guatemala is responding to additional countries beyond China reporting person-to-person transmission. This state of “maximum alert” intensifies preventive actions such as monitoring of ports of entry, requiring travelers arriving from affected countries to self-quarantine, and the potential to limit large gatherings if COVID-19 cases are detected. Additionally, Guatemala media reported today, that a family is in voluntary quarantine due to possible exposure to COVID-19 in South Korea. The Embassy is closely monitoring events and will provide updates as necessary. U.S. Embassy operations are normal.
- Guatemala has no confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
- On January 31, 2020, Guatemala declared a National Sanitary Alert, which restricts entry by air, land and sea to any foreign person without legal residency in Guatemala who has visited the People’s Republic of China in the last 15 days prior to arrival in Guatemala. Guatemalan citizens who have stayed in the territory of the People’s Republic of China in the last fifteen days preceding arrival at a port of entry will be allowed to enter, however, they must comply with the established health protocol, which includes: interview, clinical evaluation, and if necessary, transfer to a Guatemala Ministry of Health – Ministerio de SaludPública y Asistencia Social, (MSPAS), health service, for proper isolation and treatment.
- Guatemala has not declared any restrictions on the entry of legal residents who have been in China in the 15 days preceding arrival to Guatemala. Due to changing circumstances, legal residents planning such travel are advised to verify if they would be permitted re-entry while keeping in mind the Travel Health Alert from CDC to avoid non-essential travel to China at this time. (https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/novel-coronavirus-china)
- More details about Guatemala’s National Sanitary Alert are available here: https://www.mspas.gob.gt/index.php/noticias/comunicados/item/709-el-mspas-declara-alerta-sanitaria-nacional-por-coronavirus-2019-ncov
- MSPAS and port authorities are monitoring the health of incoming passengers and requesting persons who have been in Asia to report to authorities at the port of entry to undergo health screening.
- Guatemala’s Ministry of Health – MSPAS (Ministerio de SaludPública y Asistencia Social) is overseeing preparation for COVID-19 and posting extensive information online:
Actions to take: Review the following links for recommended actions
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Guatemala Country Information and Travel Advisory Page
- Monitor local news for updates.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates