Health Alert – Updated COVID-19-Related Entry Requirements for
Travel to Guatemala (18 March 2022)
Location: Guatemala, countrywide
Effective March 11, 2022, the Government of Guatemala has modified the COVID-related entry requirements for travelers to Guatemala:
Passengers who are Guatemalan citizens, foreigners, residents, accredited diplomats, or airline crew whose final destination is Guatemala must now present only one of the following:
- For all travelers aged 12 and over: Evidence of receiving a complete two-dose COVID-19 vaccination course (or one dose for Johnson & Johnson), with the final dose being administered at least two weeks before beginning your trip to Guatemala; or
- For all travelers aged 10 and over: Proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test from a certified lab conducted no more than three (3) days prior to check in at the airport or arrival at the land border.
Additionally, Guatemala is no longer restricting travel from those recently present in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Egypt, and Eswatini.
If you have any symptoms of respiratory illness or are suspected of having COVID-19, please postpone your trip to Guatemala.
Please make every effort to stay informed before making any travel plans by confirming with your airlines and checking the website (https://igm.gob.gt) of the Guatemalan government’s immigration authority.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for country-specific information related to COVID-19.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions, including potential COVID-19 vaccine or testing requirements for countries you are transiting through.
- Visit the U.S. Embassy Guatemala webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Guatemala.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City, Guatemala
Phone: (502) 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates