Guatemala March 20, 2020
Event: The U.S. Embassy is exploring all options to assist U.S. citizens in Guatemala who wish to return to the United States. This includes possible charter aircraft if commercial flights between the United States and Guatemala have not resumed. In preparation for possible flights, U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents interested in returning to the United States should do the following:
- E-mail AmCitsGuatemala@state.gov indicating your desire to return to the United States, including your name, date of birth, passport number, age, any critical medical issues (very short description only), and a way to contact you in Guatemala (phone and e-mail are best). In the subject line of your e-mail, please write “Charter Flight Registration: LAST NAME, FIRST NAME.”
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), the State Department’s system for registering and communicating with U.S. citizens abroad. This will ensure you receive all Embassy travel updates, including any regarding return flights to the United States.
- Continue to follow up with airlines about the availability of commercial flights, which could re-start operations before other travel arrangements such as charter flights are available.
- We cannot guarantee that the Embassy will be able to arrange charter flights. We are gathering this information in anticipation of being able to do so.
- Only U.S. citizens, their Eligible Family Members, and legal permanent residents may request embassy assistance to return to the United States.
- Under U.S. law, passengers on a U.S. State Department-organized charter flight are responsible for paying the cost of their ticket, which may be higher than standard commercial fares.
- Space on flights may be limited, requiring us to prioritize initial placement for those with the greatest medical need.
- Due to the high volume of inquiries, you may not receive an immediate response to your e-mail requesting assistance departing. This does not mean the Embassy is not registering your information — only that we do not have the available staff to respond quickly to all communications.
We will continue to provide further information as soon as it becomes available, via the sources described above.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Guatemala.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- S. Embassy Guatemala City
Avenida Reforma 7-01, Zona 10
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Phone: (502) 2326-4000
Fax: (502) 2326-4654
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Guatemala Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter