The State Department recently issued a global travel advisory recommending that American Citizens abroad return to the United States. We are aware that Guatemala’s airport closure has made it difficult for U.S. citizens wishing to return to the United States and are exploring all possible options to assist American Citizens who wish to do so. We do not have further information to share at this moment, but are working to find ways to help all American Citizens in Guatemala seeking to return home. As we do so, we urge all U.S. citizens to take the following steps to ensure that they receive the latest information from the Embassy:
- Monitor the Embassy’s website (https://gt.usembassy.gov/) and Twitter account (@usembassyguate) for the most up-to-date information
- Enroll at STEP.state.gov to receive the latest updates from the Embassy
- Follow the advice of the CDC and local health authorities that you can find at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Monitor the Department of State’s COVID-19 website at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-information.html