September 11, 2017
The Guatemala media reports that large scale operations are currently underway in Guatemala focusing on arrests of local gangs. Crime in Guatemala is a serious concern and retaliation against the Guatemalan police by transnational gangs remains a possibility. U.S. citizens should remain vigilant, review personal security plans, and remain aware of your surroundings.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Guatemala Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Guatemala located at Avenida Reforma 7-01, Zona 10, Guatemala City, Guatemala from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +502-2331-2354.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.