Message to U.S. Citizens – CA-1 Highway Closed on October Weekends (September 30, 2022)
Location: CA-1 highway from Km 11.5
Event: Starting tonight, all lanes (in both directions) on the CA-1 highway will be closed beginning at Km 11.5 from Guatemala City eastward toward El Salvador.
Road work will begin on Friday, September 30, at 10:00 pm and continue through Monday, October 3 at 4:00 am. This closure will repeat for the next three
weekends as follows:
From Friday, October 7, at 10:00 pm to Monday, October 10, at 4:00 am
From Friday, October 14, at 10:00 pm to Monday, October 17, at 4:00 am
From Friday, October 21, at 10:00 pm to Monday, October 24, at 4:00 am
Open routes into or out of Guatemala City will be through Muxbal, Pulte, and Villa Canales. If you plan on traveling to a destination that would normally require the
use of CA-1 in this area, please consult Google Maps or another online map software to identify the alternate routes.
If you may need emergency assistance, Guatemala has a dedicated tourism assistance program (called PROATUR) whose sole mission is to assist and protect foreign tourists in Guatemala. Their emergency assistance call center – staffed with Spanish and English speakers – may be contacted 24/7 by calling 1500 or +502-2290-2800.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media as well as the websites of CONRED (Coordinadora
Nacional para la Reducción de Desastres), INSIVUMEH (Instituto Nacional
de Sismología, Vulcanología, Meteorología e Hidrología), and PROVIAL
(La Dirección General de Protección y Seguridad Vial) for updated weather,
road, and hazard information.
- Avoid traveling while heavy rains occur as roads can quickly become
- Cautiously use navigation applications that provide directions as certain detours or alternate routes from main roads and highways can lead to unsafe areas or roads affected by flooding or landslides.
- Prepare an emergency supply kit (ready.gov).
- Notify friends and family of upcoming travel plans and let them know you are safe.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City, Guatemala
Phone: (502) 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Guatemala Country Information and Travel Advisory Page
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter