September 14, 2017
Annual Independence Day celebrations will be taking place all weekend in Guatemala. The annual “torch” run and Independence Day parades will have a significant impact on traffic throughout Guatemala City. Also in Guatemala City, there are reports of demonstrations in the area of the Congress and the Supreme Court. U.S. citizens are reminded to remain vigilant and aware of your surroundings at all times.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Guatemala Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Guatemala located at Avenida Reforma 7-01, Zona 10, Guatemala City, Guatemala from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +502-2331-2354.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.