September 29, 2017
The Social Security Administration (SSA) has consolidated its overseas operations into several regional offices that provide a full range of SSA services for U.S. citizens residing outside of the United States. Effective October 1, 2017, individuals residing in Guatemala who require social security services or have questions about SSA benefits must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in Costa Rica, rather than Guatemala.
Please, be advised that as of October 1, the U.S. Embassy in Guatemala can no longer accept telephone calls, emails, or walk-in consultations regarding Social Security issues.
For more information or any questions about the services provided at the FBU in Costa Rica and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at: https://cr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/. You can also reach them at 506-2519-2228, or FBU.SJRegion@ssa.gov
For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage, “Service Around the World”.
If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.
For further information on traveling or residing in Guatemala:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Guatemala Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Guatemala located at Avenida Reforma 7-01, Zona 10, Guatemala City, Guatemala from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +502-2331-2354.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.