An official website of the United States government

Passports for Minors Aged 16 and17


The personal appearance of all minors under age 18 is required.  For minors aged 16 and 17, parental awareness by at least one parent is required.  The usual period of validity of a passport for persons aged 16 and above is 10 years.

To schedule an in-person appointment, please go here.

At your in-person appointment, please submit the following documents:

  1. Fill out the online Form DS-11 and print the typed form.  Please do not fill out the form by hand.  Please do not sign the application until you are directed to do so at the consular section.
  2. Provide evidence of U.S. Citizenship (e.g., fully valid, undamaged U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Naturalization, or Certificate of Citizenship).  Your evidence must be an original or certified, physical copy.
  3. Show Parental Relationship.  The following may be used to show parental relationship:  U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, foreign birth certificate, adoption decree, divorce/custody decree.  If a passport has been previously issued to the minor, a photocopy is acceptable.
  4. Present a qualifying identification document.  You (or your parent/guardian) must present a qualifying identification document (e.g., e.g., valid Guatemalan DPI, valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card; valid driver’s license with photo; Certificate of Naturalization; Certificate of Citizenship; government employee ID; U.S. military or military dependent ID; current valid foreign passport; U.S. permanent resident card; etc.).
  5. Show Parental Awareness.  You must show at least one legal parent or guardian is aware that you are applying for a passport.  The following may be used to show parental awareness:  a legal parent or guardian may appear with you in person when you apply for your passport; submit a signed note from your legal parent or guardian with a photocopy of their ID; submit proof of that your legal parent or guardian is paying your application fees; and/or submit an ORIGINAL notarized DS-3053 Statement of Consent accompanied by a photocopy of that parent/guardian’s identification document.
  6. Provide one 2×2 photo taken within the last 6 months.  Please remove your eyeglasses.
  7. Bring a series of printed photographs showing the minor’s age progression and/or physical changes over time.  This is particularly important when the prior passport was issued when the minor was a baby.
  8. Pay the $165 fee.  You may pay in person at the consular section.  We accept cash (USD or GTQ), debit cards, or credit cards.

Original documents (or certified copies) are required unless otherwise specified.  For more detailed instructions, please go here.