An official website of the United States government

Passports for minors aged 15 and under

The personal appearance of all minors under age 18 is required. The personal appearance of both parents to execute the passport application of a minor under aged 15 and under is required with limited exceptions.  The usual period of validity of a passport for minors aged 15 and under is five years.

To schedule an in-person appointment, go here.

At your in-person appointment, please submit the following documents:

1.  Fill out the online Form DS-11 and print the typed form.  Please do not fill out the form by hand.  Please do not sign the application until you are directed to do so at the consular section.
2.  Provide evidence of U.S. Citizenship (e.g., fully valid, undamaged U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Naturalization, or Certificate of Citizenship).
3.  Show Parental Relationship.  The following may be used to show parental relationship:  U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, foreign birth certificate, adoption decree, divorce/custody decree.  If a passport has been previously issued to the minor, a photocopy is acceptable.
4.  Present a qualifying identification document.  The parents or guardians must present a qualifying identification document (e.g., valid Guatemalan DPI, valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card; valid driver’s license with photo; Certificate of Naturalization; Certificate of Citizenship; government employee ID; U.S. military or military dependent ID; current valid foreign passport; U.S. permanent resident card; etc.).
5.  Provide one 2×2 photo taken within the last 6 months.  Please remove your eyeglasses.
6.  Bring a series of printed photographs showing the minor’s age progression and/or physical changes over time.  This is particularly important when the prior passport was issued when the minor was a baby.
7.  Pay the $135 fee for a passport book (plus $15 if you would also like a passport card). You may pay online through pay.gov.  Please print a copy of the online payment confirmation receipt to include with your application.  You may also pay in person at the consular section when you submit the passport application.  We accept cash (U.S. dollars or Guatemalan quetzales) or credit cards.
8.  Show Parental Consent.  Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the minor’s passport.  To show parental consent:
    • Both parents may appear with the minor to apply for the passport and can sign the application to show their consent; OR
    • One or both parents may submit an ORIGINAL notarized DS-3053 Statement of Consent (note that we do not accept documents notarized by a local Guatemalan notary).  It must be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent/guardian’s identification document; OR
    • One or both parents may submit a DS-3053 Statement of Consent with an electronic notarization if the document is lawfully notarized under the law of the state or foreign country that commissioned the notary public.  It must be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent/guardian’s identification document; OR
    • One parent may submit the minor’s birth certificate showing only one parent listed; OR
    • One parent may submit the death certificate of the other parent; OR
    • One parent may submit a court order granting sole legal custody or specifically authorizing one parent to make passport decisions on behalf of the minor.

Original documents (or certified copies) are required unless otherwise specified.  For more detailed instructions, please go here.