You may qualify to renew your passport by courier if you meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Your previous U.S. passport book/card is in your possession; AND
- You were at least 16 years old when your most recent U.S. passport book/card was issued; AND
- Your most recent U.S. passport book/card was issued less than 15 years ago; AND
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued under your current legal name.
NOTE: If your most recent passport was lost/stolen/mutilated, you DO NOT meet criteria for the service.
If you do not meet the above criteria, you should follow the regular in-person passport application process. To schedule an in-person appointment, please go here.
Please submit the following documents:
- Fill out the online Form DS-82and print the typed form. Please do not fill out the form by hand. Please make sure to sign and date the application. Your signature should match the one in your previous passport.
- Your SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER IS REQUIREDto adjudicate the passport application. If you have never been issued a Social Security number, you must submit a declaration signed under penalty of perjury (click here for the No Social Security Number declaration). This declaration does not need to be notarized, but please submit the original with your application.
- Provide one 2” x 2” phototaken within the last 6 months. Please remove your eyeglasses.
- Pay the $130 fee.
- To pay online, please go to govand then provide a copy of the online payment confirmation receipt.
- To pay by cashier’s check issued by a Guatemalan bank, the check must be the exact amount of $130 (U.S. dollars) or Q1040 (Guatemalan quetzals) and made out to “U.S. Disbursing Officer.” The check cannot be more than six months old from the date issued. Do not send cash, and do not write anything on the check.
- If you are also applying for a U.S. passport card, please add $30 (U.S. dollars) or Q240 (Guatemalan quetzals). At this time, it is not possible to pay the passport card fee through pay.gov.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Checks submitted with the incorrect amount or addressee will be rejected, and your application will be sent back to you using the return shipping label provided.
- Include your most recent U.S. passport.
- Bring all documents (form, photo, payment, passport) to any Cargo Expreso agency – list of agencies is here. You must include a prepaid return shipping label from the same courier agency so that we may return your new passport with your canceled previous passport.
Please take note of the following:
- The entire process may take 4-6 weeks or more from the time your application leaves your hands until you receive your new passport.
- You may check the status of your passport application here. From the time your passport application is approved, it takes approximately 10 days to arrive from the United States and another 3 days to arrive at the Cargo Expreso agency.
- Please use the tracking number from your return shipping label to determine when your passport has arrived at the Cargo Expreso agency and ready for pick-up.
- Courier agency personnel will not review your documents or application to verify whether they are correct or complete. The courier agency will accept only one application packet per envelope, and they will not allow you to send cash in the Cargo Expreso envelope.
- Incomplete or incorrect applications will be returned to you using the return shipping label submitted with the application along with a letter explaining what was deficient.