An official website of the United States government

Plan ahead! Is your U.S. passport expiring in the next year?
November 2, 2021

Message for U.S. CitizensMessage to U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy Guatemala City

Location: Guatemala

Event: Plan ahead! Is your U.S. passport expiring in the next year? If so, please plan now to renew it at least six months before it will expire. And don’t forget to check your children’s passport expiry dates too!

Renewal by Mail/Courier:

You may qualify to renew your passport by mail/courier if you meet ALL of the following criteria:

  • Your previous U.S. passport book/card is in your possession.
  • You were at least 16 years old when your most recent U.S. passport
    book/card was issued.
  • Your most recent U.S. passport book/card was issued less than 15 years
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued under your current legal name.

For more information and instructions on how to renew your passport by mail/courier and how to pay the passport fees online, please go here. Most approved passports are returned to the applicant within one month from the date of application.

Schedule an Appointment for an In-Person Appointment:
If you do not meet all of the above criteria for renewal by mail/courier, please schedule an appointment to come in person to apply for a passport.
Passport appointments are now available through December 2022.

Emergency Appointments:

Please continue to check for available appointments as additional appointments may become available. If you require an earlier appointment, please first schedule the next available appointment and then email AmCitsGuatemala@state.gov to request an earlier one. We will reply with a short questionnaire asking about the nature of your emergency and your intended date of travel. You may be requested to provide supporting documents or information.

Applying for a Passport:

For a list of different passport services and the associated requirements, please go here. All passport forms are found here.

Social Security Number is Required to Apply for a Passport:

Please be informed that your Social Security Number is required to apply for a passport. If you have never requested or been issued a Social Security Number, you must declare under penalty of perjury that you have never been issued a Social Security Number. (This document will be provided at the Embassy.)

Consular Reports of Birth Abroad:

A child born abroad acquires U.S. citizenship at birth if the parent or parents of the child meet the conditions prescribed in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

  •  For information about how to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    (CRBA), please go here.
  •  More information about the citizenship transmission requirements is found
    here and here.
  •  To schedule an appointment to apply for a CRBA, please go here.

Actions to Take:


U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/

Tel. (502) 2326-4000


State Department – Consular Affairs

888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

Guatemala Country Information and Travel Advisory Page

Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter