Location: Throughout Guatemala
Event: Several planned demonstrations will take place across Guatemala between Monday, June 21 and Wednesday, June 23. These demonstrations may include roadblocks. The known participants are veterans of Guatemala’s armed forces. The participants have announced their intention to protest and/or block multiple roads, but specific locations have yet to be confirmed. Given all currently available information, the most likely locations where roadblocks may occur include but are not limited to the following:
- Aeropuerto Internacional La Aurora
- Aeropuerto San Jose en Escuintla
- Aeropuerto en Santa Elena Peten
- Aduanas de Puerto Barrios
- Aduana en Valle Nuevo, Jutiapa
- Aduana en Ciudad Pedro de Alvarado, Jutiapa
- Aduana en San Cristobal, Jutiapa
- Aduana en La Mesilla, Huehuetenango
- Aduana en Gracias a Dios, Huehuetenango
- Aduana en Tecun Uman, San Marcos
- Aduana en El Carmen, San Marcos
- Puerto Santo Tomas
- Entrada y salida COVIGUA
- Terminales TCQ, Puerto Quetzal
- Terminales TCQ, Puerto Barrios
- Control Migratorio Maritimo, Livingston
- Planta de descarga de barcos de combustible y camiones
- Cuatro Caminos, Totonicapan
- La Gragua, Zacapa
- Ferri Sayaxche, Peten
- Los Encuentros, Solola
- El Zarco, Retalhuleu
- San Esteban Chiquimula
- Cruce Ipala Chiquimala
- Rio Hondo, Zacapa
- Las Trampas, Solola
- San Jualian, Tactic
- Salcaja Quetzaltenango
- El Boqueron Santa Rosa
U.S citizens should also remain alert to the possibility of demonstrations occurring at unanticipated times and locations. Demonstrations can quickly grow in size and often move from one location to another, thus potentially disrupting movement.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed. Future travel by U.S. government personnel outside the capital is being reviewed and travelers should plan to avoid the areas listed above.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid affected areas, and exercise caution.
- U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel. (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Guatemala Country Information and Travel Advisory Page
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter