Security Alert – State of Siege Declared in San Marcos, Guatemala
(June 8, 2022)
Location: Tajumulco and Ixchiguan, San Marcos, Guatemala
Event: The Government of Guatemala has declared a State of Siege for Tajumulco and Ixchiguan, San Marcos, due to an uptick of ongoing violence in those areas. Please immediately avoid those areas.
The Embassy continues to advise U.S. citizens not to travel to San Marcos Department, except the city of San Marcos, due to crime. Please see our Travel Advisory.
The State of Siege starts today and is expected to last for 30 days. The State of Siege temporarily suspends the following activities:
- Right of assembly or demonstration
- Freedom of movement from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
- Possession of a firearm
Congress has three days to debate to uphold or relax the State of Siege. The preceding restrictions remain in effect until Congress acts.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security, and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid affected areas, and exercise caution.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City
Phone: +502 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Guatemala Country Information and Travel Advisory Page
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter