October 31, 2018
Location: Tecun Uman and Huehuetenango
Event: Due to ongoing migrant caravans transiting through Guatemala the U.S. Embassy has reduced all official and personal travel to Tecun Uman and Huehuetenango. The Embassy is monitoring ongoing caravans through Guatemala, and remains concerned about increased risk of travel blockages, political instability, and criminal activity. Additionally, ongoing social disturbances, some violent, continue in the towns of Ixquisis, and San Mateo Ixtatan, in the department of Huehuetenango. Embassy operations are normal.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
- Tel. (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444