Location: Throughout Guatemala
Event: The Embassy has received information that CODECA (Comité de Desarrollo Campesino) will demonstrate across Guatemala on Monday, August 9, from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm. CODECA is planning to demonstrate and block roads at the following locations:
- Chimaltenango: San Miguel El Tejar, km 50.
- Chimaltenango and Tecpán: Paso el libramiento
- Huehuetenango: El Naranjo and Las Vegas
- Totonicapán: Cuatro Caminos and Moreira
- Quetzaltenango: Quetzaltenango, Coatepeque, Palmar and San Juan San Marcos
- Retalhuleu: Puesto de Socorro el Zarco
- Suchitepéquez: El Triángulo, Nahualate and Cocales
- Escuintla: Puente de Palo, Santa Rosa, El Campamento, Jutiapa, El Boquerón, Jalapa, Sanarate, Chiquimula, Vando Hondo, Zacapa, El Progreso, El rancho and El progreso
- Guatemala: Aguilar Batres, Palencia
- Izabal: La Ruidosa
- Petén: Puente Machaquila and Sayaxché
- Cobán: San Julián, Cruces San Gran Jefe and Cruces de Champegueano
- Baja Verapaz: Cumbre Santa Elena
- Antigua: San Lucas Sacatepequez
- Solola: Km 148
- Quiche: Las Trampas and Playa Grande
In addition to CODECA, veterans of Guatemala’s armed forces and some student organizations have announced plans to demonstrate, although exact locations are yet to be determined. As always, the timing, size, and duration of planned demonstrations and roadblocks can change.
U.S citizens should remain alert to the possibility of demonstrations or road closures occurring at unanticipated times and locations. Demonstrations can quickly grow in size and often move from one location to another, thus potentially disrupting movement.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid affected areas, and exercise caution.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel. (502) 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates