Location: Throughout Guatemala
Event: The Embassy has received information that demonstrations/roadblocks are underway at the following locations:
- CA-9, Km 37: Entrance to San Vicente Pacaya
- CA-9, Km 63: Entrance to Escuintla
- CA-2, Km 178: Puente Castillo Armas, Retalhuleu
- Franja Transversal Del Norte, Km 427: San Antonio Raxruhá
- Franja Transversal Del Norte, Km 511: Aldea Chichoy, Ixcán
- Ruta 7, Km 211, Aldea Raxquic Tucuru, Alta Verapaz
U.S citizens should remain alert to the possibility of demonstrations or road closures occurring at unanticipated times and locations. Demonstrations can quickly grow in size and often move from one location to another, thus potentially disrupting movement.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid affected areas, and exercise caution.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel. (502) 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates