Event: Guatemala will hold the first round of presidential elections on Sunday, June 16, 2019. We wish to remind U.S. Citizens to be aware that demonstrations and sporadic acts of violence are possible in the days leading up to, during and after the election. While most demonstrations in Guatemala have been peaceful and not directed at tourists or foreigners, U.S. Citizens are reminded that even peaceful demonstrations can turn violent with little or no warning. Embassy operations are normal.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
- Tel. (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Guatemala Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates