Location: Huehuetenango and San Marcos Departments
Event: The U.S. Embassy advises that, due to ongoing security threats, the following departments remain under continued travel restrictions to Embassy personnel until further notice: Huehuetenango (with the exception of the city of Huehuetenango), and San Marcos (with the exception of the city of San Marcos). U.S. Embassy personnel and family members are restricted from personal travel to these departments, with the exception of the aforementioned cities, and must receive approval for official travel.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas outside of major roads and highways
- Avoid walking or driving after dark
- Remain aware of your surroundings, and keep a low profile
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security, and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt
- Monitor local news for updates, including local events
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel. (502) 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates