Location: Izabal, San Marcos and Huehuetenango
Event: The Government of Guatemala officially lifted the State of Siege in the Department of Izabal and additional municipalities in various departments, on November 7, 2019. Embassy personnel may resume personal and official travel throughout Guatemala.
Travel restrictions for Embassy personnel to the Departments of Huehuetenango and San Marcos remain in effect. Embassy operations are normal.
Actions to Take
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- For specific details on the State of Siege, refer to this link
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444