Location: 20 municipalities in Guatemala
Event: The Government of Guatemala has announced that the State of Siege continues in all of the municipalities listed below. Municipalities no longer subject to the State of Siege include Nahualá and Santa Catarina Ixtahuacán in the department of Sololá, and Puerto Barrios and Livingston in the Department of Izabal. Embassy operations are normal.
With the possibility of an expansion of the State of Siege, U.S. Embassy will maintain the current list of off-limit areas for Embassy personnel, which includes the two previously mentioned municipalities in Sololá, as well as Puerto Barrios and Livingston in Izabal. The original 20 municipalities include:
- San Luis, Petén
- Nuevo Chahal
- Fray Bartolomé de las Casas
- Santa Catalina la Tinta
- Tamahú, Alta Verapaz
- Tucurú, Alta Verapaz
- San Agustín Acasaguastlán
- Río Hondo
- San Cristobal Acasaguastlán
- El Estor
- Los Amates
In addition to the expansion of the State of Siege listed above, the U.S. Embassy will still include the two previously mentioned municipalities in Solola, as well as Puerto Barrios and Livingston in Izabal as off-limit areas.
Actions to Take
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- For specific details on the State of Siege, refer to Decreto Gubernativo Número (Presidencia de la Republica) 1-2019.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- U.S. Embassy Guatemala City
- Tel. (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter