Location: Guatemala City
Event: Large-scale demonstrations of tens of thousands of participants are expected on September 12, 2018, in Guatemala City. Demonstrators plan to meet at several locations within the city and march towards Congress in zone 1. The reported gathering locations include the Obelisco in zone 10, Trébol in zone 11, Metro Norte in zone 17, and Periférico in zone 11. Expect heavy traffic and blocked roads throughout Guatemala City resulting in multiple hour delays. U.S. Embassy operations are normal unless otherwise announced.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
- Tel. (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Guatemala Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates