Event: Beginning Friday, September 13th through Sunday, September 15th, 2019, expect heavy traffic on all roads throughout Guatemala due to Independence Day celebrations and activities.
Celebrations within Guatemala City will begin to impact traffic on Friday, originating from the Obelisco in zone 10. Participation is expected to number in the tens of thousands. Similar events are expected in each Department of Guatemala.
On Saturday, September 14th, celebratory torch runs in Guatemala City will begin at 8:00 a.m. from the Obelisco and major traffic delays should be expected throughout the day.
On Sunday, September 15th, traffic in zone 1 will be impacted by a parade centering around Plaza de la Constitución and ending on 18 Calle and 6a Avenida.
Many of the running groups will travel to various Departments on foot and with vehicle support. These activities will impact traffic outside of Guatemala City.
Actions to Take
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- U.S. Embassy Guatemala City
- Tel. (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444