Location: Izabal and 22 municipalities in Guatemala
Event: On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 following the deaths of three Guatemalan Marines in Izabal, President Morales announced a State of Siege affecting the Department of Izabal and 22 additional municipalities. Accordingly, the U.S. Embassy has restricted travel by Embassy personnel to the affected areas effective immediately. These include:
- San Luis, Petén
- Nuevo Chahal
- Fray Bartolomé de las Casas
- Santa Catalina la Tinta
- Tamahú, Alta Verapaz
- Tucurú, Alta Verapaz
- San Agustín Acasaguastlán
- Río Hondo
- San Cristobal Acasaguastlán
- El Estor
- Los Amates
- Puerto Barrios
Actions to Take
– Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
– Monitor local news for updates.
– For specific details on the State of Siege, refer to Decreto Gubernativo Número 1-2019.
– Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
– Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates