Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Guatemala City, Guatemala – (September 6, 2018)
Location: Guatemala City
Event: There are unconfirmed reports of large-scale demonstrations and roadblocks to begin in and around Guatemala City over the coming days. There are confirmed reports that as many as 1000 public medical providers and others plan to march from Second Avenue and 12th street to Casa Presidencial beginning at 9 a.m. on September 7, 2018. This will likely impact traffic in the area. U.S. Embassy operations are normal unless otherwise announced.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings, including local events.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
- Tel. (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Guatemala Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates