July 14, 2021
The Government of Guatemala has announced a State of Prevention, in effect July 14-28, 2021, due to a substantial increase in COVID-19 infections in Guatemala. The State of Prevention restricts public gatherings, enforces mask wearing and other sanitary measures in public spaces, and restricts the sale and consumption of alcohol in commercial and public spaces.
During the State of Prevention, the following restrictions are in place from July 14-28, 2021;
Public gatherings and movement:
- The authorities may suspend any public events or demonstrations that take place without the necessary sanitary measures, including social distancing, mask-wearing, and biosecurity measures that prevent contamination. The use of virtual platforms is encouraged where possible.
- Authorities may request those who travel internally within Guatemala to declare the nature of their travel, and present documentation related to their itinerary.
Mask-wearing and social distancing:
- Masks must be worn in public or governmental spaces and establishments, private spaces and establishments open to the public, and private entities offering restricted-access services, including any form of transportation or transit. Exceptions are granted only for children under age 2, and those with a certified medical exception. Non-compliance is subject to criminal penalty.
- Individuals must maintain social distancing of at least 1.5 meters.
- Individuals must regularly clean their hands with antibacterial soap, or alcohol gel (60% or above).
Alcohol consumption and sale:
- The sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages in commercial establishments, and in public spaces is prohibited between 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
Actions to Take:
- Check the Embassy’s COVID-19 Information Pagefor updated COVID-19 related information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Monitor the CDC website for latest guidance regarding testing requirements for entry into the United States.
- Click herefor the Department of State’s COVID FAQs Search Tool.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel. (502) 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates