Event: Based on current Guatemala travel restrictions, it appears that almost all direct flight service to the United States will cease at 11:59 pm on Monday, March 16, 2020. Travelers should check with individual air carriers to confirm flight options beyond that date and those with existing itineraries should reconfirm their departure details. Travelers with health concerns are encouraged to communicate with air carriers directly.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
The Embassy is closely monitoring events and will provide updates as necessary. U.S. Embassy operations are normal unless otherwise announced.
Additional Information: President Giammattei announced on March 13 that at 11:59 pm on Monday, March 16, people who spent time in the U.S. or Canada will not be permitted to enter Guatemala. Those arriving before midnight Monday, are expected to self-quarantine for 14days if asymptomatic. Those with symptoms of fever/cough/difficulty breathing will be sent to Villa Nueva Hospital for testing.
Those who test positive for COVID-19 will be quarantined. Details regarding the location of quarantine are being refined as the number of beds at Villa Nueva Hospital is limited.
Guatemalan citizens, accredited diplomats and family members with diplomatic status in Guatemala, and legal residents in Guatemala will be allowed to enter after screening and then are expected to observe home quarantine under government supervision for 7 days, if asymptomatic. Those testing positive for COVID-19 will be quarantined at a health facility.
- Guatemala’s Ministry of Health – MSPAS (Ministerio de Salud Pública y Asistencia Social) is overseeing preparation for COVID-19 and posting extensive information online: https://www.mspas.gob.gt/index.php/noticias/coronavirus-2019-ncov
- Guatemalan Immigration Authority – IGM (Instituto Guatemalteco de Migración): http://igm.gob.gt/coronavirus-covid19/
- Gobierno de Guatemala (Facebook): Link to Video of Guatemalan President Giammattei’s March 13th speech on the first case of COVID-19 and travel restrictions facing U.S. citizens. (Begins at 13:50 minutes)
- In Guatemala, call the Coronavirus hotline at 1517
Actions to take:
- Review the State Department’s Global Level 3 Health Travel Advisory released on March 15, 2020, at www.travel.state.gov.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Guatemala Country Information and Travel Advisory Page.
- Monitor local news for updates.
o U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel. (502) 2326-4000
o State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
o Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates