First Time Passports for Minors will be Processed by Appointment Only

Make sure that you meet the requirements and have all the documentation ready the day of the appointment.


Minors Under 16 Years Old

The day of the appointment applicants should bring

  • Passport application form DS-11 filled out online and printed. Go to:
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship. The most common evidence of citizenship is at least one of the following:
    • U.S. Birth Certificate (original or certified copy).
    • Certificate of Naturalization from DHS.
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240).
    • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350).
    • Certificate of Citizenship from DHS.

    NOTE: Social security card is NOT proof of citizenship.

  • Proof of identity. Common identity documents include:
  • School identification card.
  • School diploma.
  • Residency card.
  • Acceptable proof is any government/official document with both name and picture.

NOTE: A birth certificate is NOT proof of identity.

Documents to present evidence of the child’s birth in the United States and the parents’ presence in the United States around the date of birth of the child:

  • Work authorization cards.
  • Department of Homeland Security (DHS) records.
  • Rental contract.
  • Tax documents.
  • Social security records.
  • Driver’s license or Consular ID.
  • Insurance records.
  • School records.
  • Cable bill and/or cell phone bill.
  • Family photos in the United States.
  • Hospital records from the birth of the child in the United States.
  • Photos of the birth in the United States.

One color passport photo, 2” X 2” on a white background. Check photo requirements

Fee payment (to pay at U.S. Embassy):

  • First time passport fee for minors is U$105.
  • It can be paid in cash (in Quetzales or US dollars) or with a credit card.
  • If you are paying with cash, please bring exact change.

Both parents must appear with the child and sign the application:

If only one parent is present:

  • The applying parent must submit a signed notarized statement or DS-3053 (PDF – 51.5KB) in English from the non-applying parent consenting to the passport issuance.
  • A copy of a valid government ID of the non-applying parent.


  • Primary evidence of sole authority to apply, such as:
  • Birth certificate that lists only the applying parent.
  • Death certificate of the non-applying parent.
  • Court order of sole custody.

If no such evidence is available, the applying parent should submit a signed notarized statement in English or DS-5525 (PDF – 47.3KB) that includes the child’s name and date of birth, explaining in detail why the non-applying parent’s consent cannot be obtained.

If neither parent is present, please bring:

  • Notarized written statement or DS-3053 (PDF – 51.5KB) for both parents
  • Copies of both parent’s valid government ID.
  • Affidavit in English signed by both parents authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport must be submitted.

Original long form of birth certificate that includes the names of the child’s parents.

Proof of identity for both parents and the authorized third party. Any government official document with both name and picture.

To make an appointment go to  Appointment System.

Passport applications are sent to the United States for printing, and take approximately ten calendar days to process. Your process will be delayed significantly if you are missing any of the requested documents.

You will receive a pick up note indicating when your passport is ready to be picked up at the American Citizen Services Unit.