Location: INGUAT (Instituto Guatemalteco de Turismo) building – 7a. Ave. 1-17, Zone 4 – First Floor
Event: Visit of Social Security and Federal Benefits Representatives
Representatives from the Regional Federal Benefits Unit, located in San Jose, Costa Rica, will visit Guatemala from July 15 to July 19, 2019 to provide services to beneficiaries and answer questions about U.S. Social Security and other federal benefit services.
Services will be provided on a walk-in basis from 08:00 a.m. to 04:00 p.m. during the visit days, from Monday to Thursday; and from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Friday; no appointment is necessary.
Actions to take: Beneficiaries residing in Guatemala must complete their annual or bi-annual report to the Social Security Administration, and you can complete the form at this event.
If you require one of the following services, please submit legible copies of all documents:
- Applying for Social Security Benefits: Bring originals and copies of the following (for all applicants): birth certificate or passport. Additionally, bring marriage and/or death certificates if applying for auxiliary benefits or survivor’s benefits.
- SSA Proof of Life Study: In 2018, SSA mailed a questionnaire to beneficiaries receiving their own benefits whose social security number ended in 00-49 and beneficiaries over the age of 90. Please bring a copy of your passport and a completed SSA-7162 if your benefits have been suspended for not fulfilling this requirement.
- Social Security Number Card Application: Bring a copy of your valid U.S. passport, Certificate of Birth Abroad, or original birth certificate and completed form SS-5FS.
- Change of Address for Social Security: Bring your current passport.
- Medicare Part B Enrollment/Cancellation: To enroll in Medicare, you should complete and sign this form CMS-40B and to cancel your enrollment please complete and sign this form CMS-2690
To learn more about the services offered by the Regional Federal Benefits Unit visit: https://cr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/
The best way to contact the Regional Federal Benefits Unit is by using their online form: http://cr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/fbu-inquiry-form/
- U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
- Tel. (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444